Monday, March 08, 2010

Mailbox Monday - March 8






I'm really excited to have some new books coming into my home in the next few weeks. I've been in a bit of a reading funk recently, so I think seeing packages in my mailbox will help.



The first book I want to mention today, Fireworks Over Toccoa by Jeffrey Stepakoff, is one that I received a month or so ago from Library Thing. So I am terribly behind in getting my review posted. I have to say that Mr. Stepakoff did a wonderful job writing about a young southern woman. The beginning of the book skips around to various different times and characters, but the main character is Lily. Lily is a young southern woman who gets married right before her husband ships of to WWII. She comes from a wealthy family and has had an easy life. Right before her husband returns she meets a young fireworks expert and has to make a decision about how to live the rest of her life. It's a great story. Some of the early set up parts were unnecessary and the author tended to explain Lily's character rather than show us. But it was well worth the Sunday afternoon I spent with it.



The next package I want to share with you if really going to benefit my book club here at the library. Random House sent me a copy of Shanghai Girls by Lisa See and a package of chocolate. I all ready have a copy of the book, so I'll share both the book and the chocolates with my group.



The last thing I received in my mailbox last week was a copy of How to Knit a Love Song by Rachael Herron which came from Book Club Girl. Ms. Herron also has a knitting blog if you'd like to check it out. The author will be joining Book Club Girl on Air on Blog Talk Radio on March 17 at 7pm. These author interviews are always fun to listen to, and I can't wait to hear this discussion. I really enjoyed this book. Abigail is the main character and she runs into a bit of luck when her friend and mentor Eliza dies. Eliza leaves her a house, a yarn store, and a husband. But Abigail doesn't see it all right away. My only complaint was that Cade was a little loose and easy - if you know what I mean.



I hope to have some more news books to share with you next week.

1 comment:

Mary (Bookfan) said...

How to Knit a Love Song was in my mailbox last week and I just started reading it (for Book Club Girl group). I hope you enjoy all your books!