Tuesday, December 18, 2007

A New Holiday Tradition



Last year I found a easy microwave recipe for peanut brittle and have added making peanut brittle as my newest holiday tradition. I will confess that I tried making a batch on Sunday after I made the peanut clusters, but I burned it. Burnt sugar can sure stink up a house. I was off on Monday and did the last of my Christmas shopping and candy making. The bad part about having this yummy stuff in the house is that Tim just doesn't eat it and it's too cold and dark out to do much walking.


Peanut Brittle


1-1/2 cups of peanuts

1 cup sugar

1/2 cup white corn syrup

1/8 tsp. salt

1 tsp. butter

1 tsp. vanilla

1 tsp. baking soda


In a large microwave proof dish, stir peanuts, sugar, corn syrup and salt. Cook 8 minutes on high. Stir well after 4 minutes. (Be sure to keep an eye on it.)

Stir in butter and vanilla. Microwave on high 2 more minutes.

Add baking soda and quickly stir until light and foamy.

Immediately pour onto a lightly greased sheet and spread out thinly. When cool, break into small pieces.

No comments: