Monday, January 21, 2008

And No Snow


Tim and I waited all day Saturday for the 4-6 inches of snow we were supposed to get. It rained all day. The few flakes we saw were too wet to stick around. I did make a few cards. One is a wedding card for a friend of mine who got married in Little Rock this weekend (I'll post the card after I get it mailed). The others are some simple thank you cards.

Since we were preparing for a snow day, Tim made a loaf of bread in the bread maker. The house smelled wonderful. And I made a pot of soup. I tried a new recipe, and it's a keeper.

Beef Barley Soup

1/2 lb. ground beef

2 1/2 cups cold water

1 can diced tomatoes

3/4 cup sliced carrots

3/4 cup sliced mushrooms (or 1 can)

1/2 cup quick-cooking barely, uncooked (I used regular)

2 cloves garlic, minced

1 tsp. dried oregano

1/2 lb. (8oz) velveeta, cut up (I used 2 cans of condensed cheese soup)

Brown the meat; drain. Stir in water, tomatoes, carrots, mushrooms, barley, garlic and oregano.

Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cover. Simmer 10 min. or until barely is tender.

Add velveeta; stir until melted.

I added the soup at the same time as the other ingredients and adjusted cooking time for the barley.

No comments: