Wednesday, November 19, 2008

More New Books!

In the last week I got two more new books in the mail. And I've been reading for my book club.

Gayle, at Every Day I Write the Book Blog, sent me a copy of We Need to Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver. Gayle hosts a book discussion on her blog - and you know how much I like to discuss books. For one of her previous discussions we read The Post-Birthday World another Lionel Shriver novel that I ended up really enjoying. So I have high hopes for this book.

And from Jennifer at Book Club Girl I got The Hour I First Believed by Wally Lamb - in hardback. When I was interviewing for my job here at SCPL 10 years ago, one of the interview questions was to describe a book I was reading. I had just finished I Know This Much Is True by Lamb. I guess I was so enthusiastic that the HR person interviewing me had to check out the book, and I was hired. So, needless to say, I have a soft spot for Wally Lamb.

My face-to-face book group here at the library just had our discussion of Wicked by Gregory Maguire. And for the first time in 10 years of leading book discussions, I got to be a participant. We had a guest leader who did a fabulous job of leading us through a very complex book. If you read Wicked just be prepared, you will not be reading just a re-write of The Wizard of Oz - it is much, much more than that. It's society, religion, good and evil, families, and friends. The picture is our our guest leader, Chris Bramlett, long-time participant Mary Frances Neal all dressed up as the witch, and me.

No comments: